By Steven Mickletz, Camp Director
It’s admittedly hard to follow-up as spectacular a summer camp as Irvine Nature Center hosted in 2014. I was fortunate to have a stellar staff of camp counselors, talented educators to help develop curriculum, and the best weather we all could have hoped for. I think, though, we have come up with an even better plan for 2015!
Here are some of the new features that will make Summer Nature Camp even better:
New Age Groups
- In order to keep our trail groups small and give kiddos a more personal experience, we’ve made Sprouts camp exclusive to 4 year olds. This is an important change to help ensure a safe and enjoyable learning environment.
- Many parents asked for longer days for their 5 year olds, so our Discovery camp is now for 5 and 6 year olds! This camp will run 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. To make sure little legs don’t wear out, we’ll have a time for rest after lunch.
- 7-9 year olds will be playing, hiking, going on field trips and camping together in Explorers camp.
- Discovery: Caterpillar Crazy – The new Butterfly House will offer a unique opportunity to learn about butterflies and caterpillars!
- Explorers: Digging Dinosaurs, Creatures of the Night, and Crick or Creek – all new for 2015!
- Irvine’s Youth Program Leaders are an integral part to Summer Nature Camp’s success. We have increased our dedication to their professional development by offering a substantial discount to our Mountains to Sea camp for promised service hours. If you have a teen that loves the outdoors, teaching and service, contact Courtney Sagal for more information!
Plus our staff have 65 live animals, 6 miles of trails, small group sizes and a certified Outdoor Classroom at the ready to make this summer the best yet!