Join a dedicated team of professionals who are passionate about nature, animals, and education. Irvine Nature Center is an equal opportunity employer.
Irvine’s Rental Coordinator is responsible for scheduling and organizing all of Irvine’s rental events, providing tours for potential renters and coordinating current booked weddings, mitzvahs and other rentals. This is part-time seasonal position, April-October and reports to the Deputy Director.
- Responding to rental inquiries in a timely, effective, and proactive manner
- Scheduling and providing venue tours of outdoor sites
- Following up with interested renters to book rentals
- Providing one‐on‐one coordination meetings with clients prior to their rental (varies according to rental package)
- Working with the Maintenance and Grounds Managers to ensure facilities are in good condition and stocked with necessary supplies
- Coordinating weekend logistics and communicating with all weekend staff (including visitor service coordinators, rental staff and education staff) during open weekend hours
- Maintaining relationships with vendors and coordinating as needed
- Assisting rental staff during set‐up/clean‐up as needed
- Working with rental staff to ensure all contractual agreements are met by both parties and that Irvine policies and procedures are followed
- 2 years of professional event/wedding planning and coordination experience including rental/event and vendor contract administration
- Must be available weekends
- Must be responsible, detail‐oriented, proactive and have the ability to represent the Nature Center in a friendly and enthusiastic manner
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Ability to accurately multitask under pressure with attention to detail
- Background or interest in environmental education or related field preferred
- Ability to lift 25 lbs
To Apply: Please send resume to the attention of Emily Ludy, Irvine Nature Center, 11201 Garrison Forest Road, Owings Mills, MD 21117 or email HR@ExploreNature.org
Land Stewardship Manager
The Land Stewardship Manager is responsible for assessing, expanding, and implementing land stewardship and management activities on property owned by Irvine Nature Center. This position works closely with the Volunteer Coordinator to recruit and deploy volunteers and volunteer groups of all sizes to meet land stewardship objectives. The Land Stewardship Manager will report to the Executive Director and works with all staff on public outreach and education. This position requires relevant education and work experience in natural resources management, a passion for the work, and exceptional interpersonal skills. This is a full-time position and reports to the Executive Director.
• Ensure the protection and maintenance of assets, including the financial resources, land, facilities, and equipment
• Ensure compliance with all legal entities, regulatory agencies, funding agencies, and vendors
• Work with the Executive Director, Deputy Director and Facilities Chair to develop and review land stewardship policies
• Prepare annual budget for land stewardship
• Assist in writing grant proposals pertaining to restoration ecology, public access, biodiversity, and land stewardship
• Prepare monthly reports related to land stewardship
• Develop and implement management plans for existing property assessing ecological health of wildlife habitat, public access, forest management, invasive species control/eradication, and public education
• Builds and maintains positive internal working relationships with staff, trustees, and board members and volunteers
• Oversee completion of landscaping tasks such as gardening, mowing, trimming, and weeding
• Manage visitor access as necessary, including developing/maintaining/closing trails, interpretive signage, and enforcement of rules and regulations
• Ensure that trails are well-marked and well-maintained
• Assists with daily operations and special projects as needed or requested (i.e., snow plowing, etc.)
• Manage the deer and dove hunting activity
• Supervise land stewardship interns and volunteers
• Maintain a list of stewardship projects suitable for volunteer implementation; utilize and supervise volunteer labor for stewardship projects
• Work with Volunteer Coordinator to organize, lead, and provide logistical support for stewardship work days
• Provide support to special event/fundraising event committees as requested
• Attend board meetings and board committee meetings as needed.
• Knowledge of the principles, theories, and practices of natural resource management, including wetlands, wildlife, forestry, ecology, and social dimensions
• Other duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s Degree in natural resource management, environmental science, or a closely-related field. Extensive experience as a natural resource/land manager may serve as a substitute for the required formal education
• Self-motivated, detail-oriented with the ability to work independently and as a team player while managing multiple tasks
• Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions
• Projects a professional image internally and externally
• Proven initiative
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Must maintain a valid herbicide applicator license
• Must maintain a valid driver’s license
To Apply: Please send cover letter and resume to the attention of Brooks Paternotte, Irvine Nature Center, 11201 Garrison Forest Road, Owings Mills, MD 21117 or email HR@ExploreNature.org by April 15, 2021.
Director of Marketing and Communications
The Director of Marketing of Irvine Nature Center is responsible for developing and managing a comprehensive marketing and communication plan for the organization, telling its story effectively. The comprehensive plan includes increasing external visibility and participation in all the organization’s programmatic activities, maintaining the brand and content of the organization’s publications, advertising, digital tools and promotional materials. The Director of Marketing works closely with the Director of Education to promote Irvine’s programs and with the Director of Development to maximize the organization’s fundraising efforts. This is a full-time position and reports to the Deputy Director.
MEDIA & PR
- Develops and implements a marketing strategy that effectively markets Irvine and educates the public in terms of Irvine’s educational offerings.
- Directs market research activities to track changing demographics and other relevant issues to evaluate marketing and communication activities and monitor emerging issues.
- Develops media contact list and maintains a strong and productive relationship with both print and electronic media, ensuring that the media is aware of Irvine’s upcoming activities and shares them to the public.
- Serves as Irvine’s point person and spokesperson to the media.
- Develops Irvine’s media kits.
- Writes press releases and WYPR scripts for podcast frequency.
PRINT, WEB & BRAND
- Manages brand and key messaging in all media, including online and print sources and relevant social media.
- Manages the organization’s website, including developing and posting content, maintaining a useful navigational system, and identifying and supervising outsourced web vendor.
- Supervises outsourced graphic designer(s) and manages all Irvine printed materials including:
- The Annual Report in coordination with the Director of Development
- “Understory” – produced 4 times per year (create editorial plan, manage staff assignments, prepare production timeline, oversee design and production, write articles)
- Brochures – Education, Camp, Membership, Corporate, etc.
- eNewsletter and other eMessages
- Stationary, invitations, and business cards
- Attends Full Board, marketing committee, and Irvine leadership team meetings.
- Reports statistics (including web, eNews, social media, new members, etc.) to ILT team.
- Works with Irvine management team to create monthly director reporting tool and assists with internal communications.
- Contributes to onsite signage look, feel, design and fabrication.
- Develops partnerships with other environmental and community organizations.
- Researches and responds to opportunities for exposure in the community (including, but not limited to, speaking engagements and presence at fairs and festivals).
- Keeps abreast of all trends in the industry.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent professional experience related to marketing, communications, or public relations
- Excellent writing/content ability for web and print formats
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, PR, social media
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong communication skills and ability to engage and inspire visitors, donors and interact effectively with staff
- Commitment to Irvine’s mission and a keen interest in environmental issues
- Experience with internal and external communication strategies
To Apply: Please send cover letter and resume to the attention of Courtney Sagal, Irvine Nature Center, 11201 Garrison Forest Road, Owings Mills, MD 21117 or email HR@ExploreNature.org by April 15, 2021.
Summer Nature Camp Counselor
The Camp Counselor should be passionate about bringing nature and environmental education to the lives of young children. We are looking for enthusiastic individuals who have experience working with children, thrive outdoors, and are passionate and creative teachers. Counselors ensure our camps are a fun, safe, and educational experience as well as learning environmental education teaching strategies in a summer camp environment.
Summer Nature Camp (SNC) is a Day Camp that runs Monday-Friday for 6 weeks during the summer from July 12- August 20, 2021.
- Direction, supervision, and organization of campers
- Development and implementation of natural history activities
- Daily set-up and clean-up (including disinfecting) of classrooms and common areas
- Maintain high standards of health and safety in all activities for campers and staff
- Be a positive role model to campers, volunteers, and interns
- Represent Irvine Nature Center well when interacting with parents and the community
- 20-45 hours/week depending on availability
- After-care positions available to work 3:30-6 p.m.
- Must be available Mon-Fri, 8:00AM – 6:00PM – actual hours will fall between these times
- Some night programs may be required
- June 28 – July2 and July 12 – August 20 availability preferred
- Experience working with children ages 3-17
- Interest in and experience in natural history or education
- Flexibility as program needs may change from week to week
- Age 18+
- Must pass a criminal background check
To Apply: Please send cover letter and resume to the attention of Diana Roman, Irvine Nature Center, 11201 Garrison Forest Road, Owings Mills, MD 21117 or email HR@ExploreNature.org
The part-time, Maintenance Manager of Irvine Nature Center assures the satisfactory current and long-term operation and preservation of the physical facility, grounds and their related systems. The Buildings and Grounds Manager maintains the facilities in a manner that is safe, clean, and attractive at all times. This position reports to the Deputy Director.
• Generally on call for emergency situations, 24 hours per day, 7 days per week
• Maintains a proactive maintenance schedule for building systems, vehicles and equipment
• Assures compliance with applicable codes and laws regarding the physical plant operations and functions
• Evaluates renovation and service contracts specifications for the purpose of contract renewal and or execution of new contractual services rendered to the organization
• Performs written work requests and ensures work is completed correctly and in a timely manner
• Sets up and takes down chairs, tables and equipment in classrooms and meeting rooms as needed.
• Conducts weekly walk-thru inspections of all buildings and trails noting deficiencies and ensures corrections are made as soon as possible
• Safely operates heavy equipment, power tools, machinery, and vehicles for assigned projects.
• Coordinates the snow removal activity on the Nature Center’s road, sidewalks, loading dock, and trails. Operates snow blower as needed.
• Maintains inventory control of maintenance supplies, equipment, and vehicles
• Works with volunteers in maintaining the grounds ensuring a neat, clean and attractive appearance
• Assists with landscape maintenance, including planting, pruning, weeding, and control of exotic invasive plants
• Responsible for maintenance of deer fencing and removal of fallen trees from the road, trails, and field edges
• Assists with other maintenance duties, which include repairs, furniture moving, vehicle maintenance and repair
• Assists with traffic control when necessary
• Assists with special events, which require working some evening and weekend hours
• Responsible for the care of the porous parking lot
• Perform other duties and responsibilities as requested
• 25 hours per week
• Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
• Strong knowledge of engineering concepts, including electrical, hydraulic and mechanical systems
• Effective interpersonal and written communication skills
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and multi-task effectively
• Excellent organizational and prioritization skills
• High school diploma or equivalent; Degree from a vocational school or BSc/BA in business administration or facility management preferred.
To Apply: Please send cover letter and resume to the attention of Courtney Sagal, Irvine Nature Center, 11201 Garrison Forest Road, Owings Mills, MD 21117 or email HR@ExploreNature.org