With all this winter weather, we are looking forward to a warmer and busy Spring season! Irvine will have many opportunities to volunteer in March and especially April!
Three of the big events for March and April are:
1. SPRING VOLUNTEER NATURALIST TRAINING
2. PROJECT CLEAN STREAM
See descriptions below for more information on how you can participate!
1. Please join us for the Spring Volunteer Naturalist training March 25th, 27th and 29th! Volunteer Naturalist assist with school field trips here at Irvine and are an important aspect of the educational department!
“Become a volunteer naturalist at Irvine! This 3-session course will teach you how to lead educational trips for school groups. We’ll cover field trip themes, natural history, trail activities and teaching techniques. No experience necessary – just bring enthusiasm for working with kids!
Tuesday, March 25, 6 – 8:30 p.m., Thursday, March 27, 6 – 8:30 p.m. and Saturday, March 29, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
$30 deposit refunded at conclusion of season.“
Contact Courtney Sagal, Irvine’s Manager of Volunteer and Retail Services, for more information! CourtneySagal@ExploreNature.org
2. Join Irvine Nature Center to participate in the Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay’s PROJECT CLEAN STREAM on Saturday, April 5th from 9:00am-12:00pm! If you have a neighborhood stream, work at a school or office whose grounds are in need of some clean-up or would like to coordinate with a local park to spruce it up, then you may be perfect for the role of site captain! Irvine Nature Center, as clean-up coordinators, provide supplies to clean-up sites, all you do is pick up the trash and count the results! OR join Irvine volunteers to clean-up the grounds here at Irvine Nature Center!
This is a great opportunity to spend just a few hours making a HUGE impact on the environment and making your neighborhood or place of work more pleasant!
For more information about Project Clean Stream, visit the Alliance for the Bay’s website http://cleanstream.allianceforthebay.org/about/ OR contact Emily Stransky, Irvine’s Group Project Coordinator, at StranskyE@ExploreNature.org.
3. SpringFest! is an Earth Day celebration here at Irvine Nature Center! There will be many family activities including:
- Create recycled crafts and instruments
- Shake, rattle and roll with Tracey Eldridge’s sing a longs
- Sack races, bingo, and miniature golf
- Be a contestant in the “Are you smarter than a naturalist” game show
- Rock Climbing Wall
- Children’s Yoga
- Animal Hopscotch
- Live music by Aunt Melly’s Band
- Family Pedometer Contest and so much more!
Volunteers are an important part of the festival, as they man the activity tables and sites to make sure everything runs smoothly! If you are interested in volunteering for our Earth Day celebration, SpringFest!, please contact Courtney Sagal, Irvine’s Manager of Volunteer and Retail Services, at CourtneySagal@ExploreNature.org. For more information about the event, please visit https://www.explorenature.org/experience-irvine/kids-unplugged .