What does is take to be “Green”?
John Ruhrah Elementary/Middle School has partnered with Irvine for the past two years working towards the MAEOE Green School Certification.
The Maryland Green School Program is a holistic, integrated approach to authentic learning that incorporates local environmental issue investigation and professional development with environmental best management practices and community stewardship. These pictures are of the Green Club, which is made up of 35 students ranging from 3rd-6th grades, and the Environmental Leader Series that 8 of John Ruhrah’s teachers are participating in.
Benefits of the being a Maryland Green School:
- Maryland Green School flag
- Statewide and local county/city recognition
- Visibility as a model for other schools and for the local neighborhood
- Gifts designed to jumpstart the quest for re-certification
- Free gift of a native MD tree from Maryland Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Tree-Mendous Maryland “Gift of Tree” Program
- Studies show Green School students perform higher on math, reading and science standardized tests
Below is a link that takes you to the MAEOE website for an overview of the Green School Program: