Tis the season for pumpkin carving!
It’s that time of year to head to the pumpkin patch to find that special pumpkin to call your own. Once you find the perfect pumpkin it’s time to show your creativity and get to carving. However, once you create a masterpiece, it never seems to last.
There are many reasons for this quick failure. First, is that once you break throughout the skin on the pumpkin it no longer protects it from fungi, bacteria, molds, and insects. Also, the oxygen in the air enters the pumpkin and oxidizes it (breaks it down). Finally, because the pumpkin is no longer attached to the vine it doesn’t receive water anymore, and therefore it dehydrates quickly.
Have no fear! There are simple steps you can take to keep your pumpkin looking great for longer!
- Wipe the outside of your pumpkin.
- Take the insides/guts out to the best of your ability.
- Use your creativity to carve your pumpkin.
- Combine 1 tablespoon of bleach and 1 quart of water. Place into a spray bottle.
- Spray the insides and carved areas of the pumpkin, and let it sit for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, dump out the excess liquid.
- Keep your pumpkin in a cool area out of the sun. This will slow the growth of bacteria in your pumpkin!
This is not a fool proof process, but it should help your pumpkin last about a week!