In an effort to leverage our resources and reach ever more students, in 1989 Irvine offered its first Teacher Workshop. Today, Irvine offers many different professional development workshops for all levels of teachers to help integrate environmental education and outdoor learning into the curriculum.
Irvine Nature Center offers training in several national curriculum guides that are recommended resources by both NAAEE and NSTA.
- Project WET (aquatic resources) promotes knowledge, awareness, appreciation and stewardship of water resources.
- Project WILD (wildlife) provides wildlife-based conservation and environmental education that fosters responsible actions toward wildlife and related natural resources.
- Growing Up Wild & Project Learning Tree: Early Childhood provides an early foundation for developing positive impressions about nature and lifelong social and academic skills. This workshop will be held on Saturday, January 14, 2017.
- Project Learning Tree (trees and forests) uses the forest as a “window” on the world to increase understanding of our environment while stimulating critical and creative thinking.
- WOW! The Wonders of Wetlands provides a resourceful and creative collection of wetland activities, information and ideas. This workshop will be held on Saturday, April 1, 2017.
- Animal Adaptations, Habitats & Classification uses Irvine’s extensive live and preserved animal collections to create many hands-on, STEM-focused activities for use in the classroom and on the schoolyard.
- Telling Stories: Language and Literacy in Nature explores how stories and storytelling can capture students’ imaginations while developing language and literacy skills.
- The Artistry of Nature-based Learning examines the connection between art, science, outdoor learning, and inquiry-based approaches.
- Teacher’s Summer Retreat is a 3-day series of nature-based courses designed for early childhood educators. Check for 2017 dates coming soon!
MSDE CPD Courses include:
- Planning Your Outdoor Classroom Course is 6 clock hours for MSDE.
- Nature-based Learning, Indoors and Out Course is 6 clock hours for MSDE.