In an effort to leverage our resources and reach ever more students, in 1989 Irvine offered its first Teacher Workshop. Today, Irvine offers many different professional development workshops for all levels of teachers to help integrate environmental education and outdoor learning into the curriculum.
Irvine Nature Center offers training in several national curriculum guides that are recommended resources by both NAAEE and NSTA:
- Project WET (aquatic resources) promotes knowledge, awareness, appreciation and stewardship of water resources.
- Project WILD (wildlife) provides wildlife-based conservation and environmental education that fosters responsible actions toward wildlife and related natural resources: May 17, 2014.
- Project Learning Tree (trees and forests) uses the forest as a “window” on the world to increase understanding of our environment while stimulating critical and creative thinking.
- WOW! The Wonders of Wetlands provides a resourceful and creative collection of wetland activities, information and ideas.
MSDE CPD Courses include:
- Nature-based Learning, Indoors and Out April 11, 2014, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Planning Your Outdoor Classroom March 31, 2014, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
Check out our Growing Green Leaders support page for teachers!